No output from 4.x kernel from sunxi-next branch on UART.
Add Reply
a***@airfi.aero
2017-07-06 08:40:42 UTC
HI All,

I am currently having an issue to boot from sd card on a stock Allwinner
A20 SOM board. It works only with 3.x kernel from the Linux-sunxi branch.
The a20-Som doesn't boot from any 4.x kernel from either the sun-xi next
branch or the latest kernel, the u-boot just hangs and stops outputting
data.

Do let me know if I am missing anything.

Please find the config file attached for the 3.x working kernel and the 4.x
kernels.

FYI, for the base SD card, I have used the Debian Jsee 8 Image from
https://www.olimex.com/wiki/images/c/cd/A20_OLinuxino_Micro_debian_Jessie_34_103_2G_EMMC_release_14.torrent

Regards
Ashutosh Naik.
Karsten Merker
2017-07-11 19:23:46 UTC
Post by a***@airfi.aero
HI All,
I am currently having an issue to boot from sd card on a stock Allwinner A20
SOM board. It works only with 3.x kernel from the Linux-sunxi branch. The
a20-Som doesn't  boot from any 4.x kernel from either the sun-xi next branch or
the latest kernel, the u-boot just hangs and stops outputting data.
Do let me know if I am missing anything.
Please find the config file attached for the 3.x working kernel and the 4.x
kernels.
FYI, for the base SD card, I have used the Debian Jsee 8 Image from https://
www.olimex.com/wiki/images/c/cd/
A20_OLinuxino_Micro_debian_Jessie_34_103_2G_EMMC_release_14.torrent
Which u-boot version are you using - u-boot-sunxi or mainline
u-boot? If the former, you should try mainline u-boot - I would
guess that nobody has tried booting a mainline kernel from
u-boot-sunxi for a very long time. All development happens on
mainline u-boot; u-boot-sunxi is effectively unmaintained since
quite a while and only kept for legacy systems.

You haven't exactly specified which A20-SOM you are using. If it
is the Olimex A20-SOM (on the Olimex A20-SOM-EVB), you can use
the corresponding Debian Installer image (which includes mainline
u-boot) for testing:

$ wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/firmware.A20-Olimex-SOM-EVB.img.gz
$ wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/stretch/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/partition.img.gz
$ zcat firmware.A20-Olimex-SOM-EVB.img.gz partition.img.gz >sdcard.img

HTH,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der
Ashutosh Naik
2017-09-12 06:05:02 UTC
Hi,

I tried with mainline u-boot and the 4.13.0 kernel but I was unable to boot
kernel on Olimex A20-SOM (on the Olimex A20-SOM-EVB). I am attaching my
kernel config, the boot log and the boot-next.cmd file, which I used to
create the boot.scr file. Please let me if I am missing anything. It's just
rebooting everytime after a few seconds.

Also, can you provide a link to build the Debian Installer Image on
A20-SOM-EVB from sources?

Regards
Ashutosh
Post by a***@airfi.aero
[...]
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten fÃŒr Zwecke der
Werbung sowie der Markt- oder Meinungsforschung.
Andre Przywara
2017-09-12 09:21:05 UTC
Hi,
setenv bootargs console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait panic=10
"tty1" won't output anything on the UART, I am afraid.
Can you try:
setenv bootargs "console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlycon=uart,mmio32,0x1c28000
root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait panic=10"

These are the runes for UART0, not sure which UART you are connected to.
You might want to adjust the ttyS number and the earlycon address.

Cheers,
Andre.